Wednesday, February 18, 2009

BANGER!


The feeling is so good when you make a beat that you KNOW is a banger. Like, you can hear the hook on it already. You can hear that shit on the radio, ring tones, and ipods everywhere.

I had recently taken a break from making beats in order to focus on sharpening my engineering chops. I feel like they are a lot sharper, but I am nowhere near done with that. Being a badass engineer takes a long time. As much as I would love to just sit around and make beats all day, I feel like being a good engineer will make me a better producer. Also, I know that being an engineer will give me a lot of good connects and put me in a better position to launch a production career. Chess, playa, not checkers. 

But the beats are calling me back...So much so that I woke up at 3:45 this morning, ate a turkey sandwich, drank a protein shake, and made 4 beats in 30 minutes. Must have been the shake.

No, seriously, I wanted to make four beats without spending more than seven minutes on each one. That way, I wouldn't get too caught up or invested in one beat that could very well turn out to be garbage. Once they were done, I would pick the best one, and that would be the one that I would flesh out and finish. I may have gotten two out of this session, but I know for sure that one of them is a banger. Actually, I liked all of them until I got to the end and listened to them all consecutively. Only two were still cool after that. 

This is a lot better than the last time I tried this exercise, and the exact thing I was trying not to do ended up happening. I ended up working on one beat for like three hours straight, changing the entire direction about four times. And at the end, it was OK. Not incredibly fucking awesome like you would hope. 

As it is, I worked for 30 mins, and came up with a banger. Possibly two. Of course, I will spend several hours more on them, but the groove, the soul of the beat, is already there. I will most likely be making beats this way for a while. 


2 comments:

  1. Hot man. Keep on it. Glad to see your still driven

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an awesome writer.
    This is one of the very few blogs I look forward to reading.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete